Friday, May 4, 2007

Elizabeth Kucinich visits Phoenix (or, a Good Blogger Never Forgets her Camera)

Elizabeth Kucinich, wife of Democratic presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich, came to Arizona this past week to march and speak for immigrant rights. My friends AR and RR put together a couple of speaking engagements for her with the local peace community, too. I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the event on Wednesday evening. Unfortunately, however, I forgot my camera (unlike good bloggers, who never forget).

If I had taken my camera, you would, right here, see a photograph of the Free Street Band, a group of 3 local peace activists who like to play drums and bagpipes and wear kilts. They are at most peace events around Phoenix and often make the event a celebration of peace rather than a sober condemnation of war. Cindy McCain even commented on the wonderful music during her speech last Saturday at the Senator McCain event.

Here, you would see a photo of Jeff Farias, local liberal radio talk show host, playing the stand up bass for some more very enjoyable music.

We were also entertained by an animated short discussing HR 676, a bill for universal, single-payer, non-profit healthcare in the U.S. The last opening act before Elizabeth spoke was Dustin James who performed his remake of John Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance."

(Right here, had I had my camera, you would see a photograph of Elizabeth Kucinich) CODEPINK Phoenix does not endorse political candidates, but we do endorse any ideas that would lead to lasting, sustainable peace. Elizabeth spoke of some of these ideas and I would encourage anyone interested in what Rep. Kucinich has to say to research his platform. The idea of focusing on what is good about the U.S. instead of what is bad, is certainly a refreshing idea, as is the establishment of a cabinet level Department of Peace and Non-violence.

While the attendance of the event was disappointing, the message and the company were inspiring. I hope that some of the other candidates, both Democratic and Republican, will be open to meeting with Phoenix's peace community in the future.

In the end, this is the only image I have to share from the event. I really like the globe and peace symbol used on this sign, so I took the photo on my back patio this morning. So, I leave you with a dream of world peace.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Caryn and all the Code Pinkers, for all you do. I probably would have attended at least one of Elizabeth's appearances if I had received notification in time. Thank you again.